Sunday, July 3, 2011

Stop & Sketch

This morning I finished a painting and decided to spend the rest of the day doing small watercolor sketches/studies. I grabbed my sketchbook, mini travel palette and camera... packing light!

This was my view this morning as I finished breakfast on the patio... grabbed a quick sketch to capture the light. I love how the morning sun illuminates slopes of the canyon's hillside and the deep caverns are still immersed in shadow. As the sun comes up higher, the darkness is swallowed up with light.


I finished up my painting that I had started earlier the day before. While I was putting the last touches on the painting, some cows moved down to graze under the tree. I pulled out my sketchbook and did several quick studies of them as they were moving about and when the mother and baby cow decided to nap, I worked on a color watercolor sketch.


The next stop was to pull over to do a sketch of the hillsides, but when I got out of the car I looked across the road and saw an open gate leading up to a massive oak tree in a vineyard. The tree offered shade and I decided to go up and check out the view. The spot offered a wonderful vista of vineyards and hills in the background. The hawks were sweeping the skies looking for breakfast. I will definitely go back and paint here this week!


Two more stops and several sketches later, I decided to go further down the road. There was a view I had remembered from our last visit -- just before Ballard Canyon Road ends at the highway. I decided to go back and find it and hoped for a place to pull over... I  was in luck! There was a shady spot with just enough room for my car. The afternoon light was delicious... and I loved this sloping landscape with the cluster of trees casting wonderful shadows and offering peek-a-boo views between the trunks.

I love taking a break from completing "finished" paintings and instead set my focus on capturing simple color studies where I can explore new painting spots, work out compositions and collect pages of ideas in my sketchbook.

No comments: