Saturday, July 2, 2011

Saddles & Sketchbooks

Today, our friend (and wonderful host!) Angela invited us to visit a farm where she was going to take her first Western Dressage lesson. Caroline and I were happy to go along and see something new (western dressage!) and spend some time with horses (we miss our two!).
We took off and headed towards the town of Santa Ynez. We turned down the driveway and entered a wonderful old riding farm surrounded with amazing vistas of vineyards and mountains. It was a hot day, but there was a nice breeze coming across the pastures.
We met Agapito De La Cruz the owner of Etcetera Farm and watched as Angela had her first lesson. Then he hopped on his horse and demonstrated the dressage techniques. What an amazing horse. Agapito is a really skilled rider. It was incredible to watch!

While the lesson was going on I turned to see the barn bathed in sunlight.... it was a perfect sketching opportunity. To my delight a cowboy even walked through the barn with a great silhouette! I hussled to add that into the sketch. It was a quick sketch... 20 minutes! I love capturing the sketch in ink and then washing in splashes of color notes to finish it off.
I showed the sketch to Agapito and Adrianna and they were amazed to see what I had done. They loved the color and even recognized the horse and owner in the foreground. They invited Caroline to come back and ride and then offered lessons in trade for a larger painting of their barn. "Perfect!," I said. Caroline is so excited to be able to ride while we are here and to expand her horse experiences... and I get to paint in a wonderful settings. It's a win-win.
My plein air sketches have created new opportunities and introduced us to new friends. It's another page in the chapter of our Santa Ynez adventure!

No comments: