Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sights & Scentsation

Yesterday, I returned to paint at Clairmont Farms in Los Olivos. The entrance to the lavender farm is a long driveway lined with very old olive trees... their lacy leaves rimmed in sunlight with hints of purple peeking through.
Beyond the trees was a "sea" of purple. Truly, it was like looking out on a large body of water with the deepest hues of purples, blues and pinks where the sun was hitting the tops of the blooms. The smell was intoxicating and the occasional breeze would make it even more intense. Rising up out of the purple were stately old oak trees their trunks in shadow and sprawling shapes silhouetted in the light.


I set up my easel and was transported into this world of scent and sensation. Cars came in and out and people stopped by to look at my painting. The shade of one of the olive trees was the perfect spot.


But all the while, I was consumed with the smell of lavender as I painted. Enjoy the painting and, if you have lavender sachet handy.... sniff, and then take a look!


5 comments:

Mrs. Burns said...

I have been enjoying your trip vicariously - my travel adventures this summer will pale in comparison. So now that I've been viewing these works, I have a few questions: how do you pronounce 'plein air'? What exactly does it mean (I saw your explanation in the blog) - how does it differ from watercolors? And what is its origins, if you know?

dollgal said...

This blog is a wonderful idea, Jane. I enjoy your descriptive details and energy. Your paintings are beautiful, and it's generous of you to share your painting adventures with others. Many will be inspired & benefit from them!

Jane Ramsey said...

Thanks! I feel so very lucky to get to paint and be in this amazing part of the country... blessed. The blog has been fun because there always seems to be a story behind the paintings... or because of the paintings. Thanks for allowing me to share!

Unknown said...

The other thing about painting lavender is the constant buzz of working bees. I guess you could get your hands on some lavender honey.

Jane Ramsey said...

yes, Carrie, so true!.... i loved hearing them buzzing about. They sold lavender honey at the farm and I want to buy some to try.