Thursday, July 7, 2011

A Second Look

It was another warm day in the Santa Ynez Valley. I set off down Ballard Canyon Road to find a spot to paint. Driving home the other day, I had seen these structures from the road and they caught my eye.  So I set off to take a second look. The setting was perfect and the contrast of the metal structure with the organic shapes of the landscape were exciting.


I love how they are standing side by side almost as if they are watching over the newly planted vineyard behind them. They have quirky, fun proportions and interesting shapes.
The sun was hot but I was able to find a small patch of shade to paint int. Bicyclists and runners occasionally came by. One passerby remarked how they had often traveled this road and never noticed them being anything special. But on second look, they studied them and my painting and remarked that indeed it was a great scene and they were quite charming set amongst the golden hillsides.
One of my favorite things about painting is capturing a scene that is often overlooked... and allowing people to look at their familiar landscapes in a new and fresh way.
A second look.

No comments: