Friday, July 8, 2011

Oaks & Vines

The stately oak trees lining the winding roads through Ballard Canyon are so lovely. I set up my easel under one and went about capturing the vineyards and hillsides in the late afternoon. The late-day time slot is my favorite time to paint as the sun begins to go down and the colors intensify. The vines sparkle in the light and the oak trees take on these solid shapes with deep shadows. The low light illuminates the massive trunks of these trees revealing their form and strength. Birds begin to call out to each other from their perches and the gophers scurry about for their last bit of supper.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now I love the way you blog as much as I love the way you paint. Your words seem to flow effortlessly and then you add in shades, nuance and detail that bring the full picture to life.

Jane Ramsey said...

Awe, thanks Mandy.. it's fun to be able to add what I am experiencing while painting... or what caught my eye. I get to tell a story! Glad you are enjoying it!