Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Shadows & Vines

I returned to one of my most favorite painting spots in Los Olivos... I still remember the first time I saw the stunning vista of the Saarloos Vineyards along Ballard Canyon Road. The road winds along the ridge and then takes a dramatic turn and suddenly you are climbing the hill and looking out over this incredible canyon vista with tiers of vines. Truly, it takes your breath away. Everytime.


In fact, it was the first painting spot on my inaugural visit to the Santa Ynez Valley three years ago. I immediately pulled over and set up to paint and an hour into the painting Keith Saarloos pulled up and introduced himself. The painting became part of his collection, and a friendship began. The Saarloos family is so gracious and allows me to roam the vineyards and paint! I love discovering new vistas and scenes to paint among the vines.

When I set out to paint this week's painting, I discovered an opening in the fence line along the road... I ducked under the climbing roses and baby oak tree branches! It was like a secret garden moment! When I looked up there was this wonderful new viewpoint... a long and winding road going deep into the vineyard. Lined with pink roses and olive trees. The long deep shadows crept along the earth reaching towards the vines.


After a small sketch to explore the composition and view... I set about painting and decided to expand the view to the left to reveal the steep slope of the vineyard.


It was an incredible late afternoon into evening painting. A herd of steer came down the hillside behind me and I could hear them snorting and eating ... the grasses and brush crunching under their hooves as they lumbered up and down the slopes. Hawks soared in the sky above me casting large shadows over the vines. The wind picked up as the sun began to make its way deep within the canyon and the colors intensified. The occasional creak and soft moan of a windmill above kept me company.


Larry Saarloos stopped by to say hello. I loved his reaction as he stooped under the opening and came up to see the painting. He zeroed right in on the sweeping path and the play of light and shadow along the road... he loved it. It thrills me when people see in my painting the very thing that inspired me to create the painting. It's the best compliment.


"Shadows & Vines"... another painting for the Saarloos collection. I am honored. Grateful to be able to share their special spot in the Santa Ynez Valley.

Oh, and did I mention they create and craft incredible wines. Artists of a different medium.
http://saarloosandsons.com/SAARLOOSANDSONS/Welcome.html

No comments: