Friday, July 1, 2011

California Light & Color

So inspiring to be back in California! We are in Solvang, Central California, just north of Santa Barbara. While my daughter trains at Monty Roberts' ranch for equine training I get to spend my days painting in the Santa Ynez Valley. The colors are so vibrant and my palette so different out west. The first thing I noticed was the lack of humidity... my watercolors dried quickly in the hot sun, aided by the warm wind coming through the canyon. I hiked up the hillside and found this perfect vista. The dramatic sweep of land along with the juxtaposition of warm grasses and cool shadows caught my eye. After further observation I began to notice the incredible play of light and color within the shadow areas under the majestic oaks. Greens, blues vibrating with purples... exhilarating.

2 comments:

Julie Riker said...

Great blog Jane. I would love the opportunity to paint in California someday - have fun!

Jane Ramsey said...

Thanks Julie... we should all plan a plein air trek someday. It would be fun! Have met so many wonderful people along the roadside as I paint. The colors and vistas are beautiful. Feel so blessed to have this opportunity! I keep pinching myself!