Thursday, August 11, 2011

Horses, Friends & Celebrations

 I filled a whole sketchbook while in California.... I love looking at my sketches and reflecting on all the wonderful encounters and experiences. I thought I would share a few over the next few blog entries.



My daughter and I were introduced to Agapito and Adrianna on our first week in Santa Ynez. While we watched our friend's lesson with Agapito, I sketched his barn. After seeing the sketchbook entry, he asked if I would like to do a larger painting and, in exchange, he would give my daughter some lessons.

People come into your life for a purpose... and you connect in a such a way that you feel as if you've know each other a long time. Such, is this encounter. I feel so privileged that Caroline and I met this special couple. I love how a simple entry in my sketchbook introduced us to new friends and experiences.

Over the next four weeks, we spent many days on their farm enjoying the sweeping views of the valley - vistas of vineyards, wheat fields and the mountains in the distance. Impromptu barbecues and wine tastings (from wine made on the farm) were special. Caroline rode many horses, took trail rides through vineyards and even learned how to herd cattle on horseback! She learned so much. Agapito's daughter Monet became Caroline's special new friend... what a sweet girl and quite a talented little rider! I enjoyed doing this little sketch of her as she ate lunch with us one day.


Towards the end of our visit we were invited to celebrate Adrianna's birthday. What an amazing party that evening! We gathered in the large wine making room in the back of the barn made festive with balloons and the warmth of family and friends. Isabelle and Jose set up tables and filled them with trays of amazing homeade Mexican dishes. Bottles of wine were uncorked and music filled the room.
Everyone from small children to adults joined in to sing happy birthday to Adrianna.


As the sun started to dip behind the distant hills, some left the party to go on a
twilight trail ride. Others stayed behind and enjoyed the music and the company of
friends old and new. It was a memorable night. 

I so enjoyed creating these two paintings for Agapito and Adrianna.
Thankful for our special times together in the Santa Ynez Valley.

"Agapito's Cows," plein air watercolor, 12 x 9

"The Perfect Spot," plein air watercolor, pen & ink, 14 x 11


No comments: